Scouts will have the opportunity to fulfill the following requirements:
- Learn the precautions that must be followed for the safe use and operation of a potter’s tools, equipment, and other materials.
- Learn about different Clay bodies.
- Learn basic Pottery terminology.
- Make a slab pot, coil pot, pinch pot, and throw a functional form on a potter’s wheel in White stoneware clay.
- Make a human or animal figurine or decorative sculpture in air dry clay.
- Learn about how different types of Kilns work.
- Visit a museum that features pottery.
- Glaze their work.
A full list of requirements can be found at this website:
Students will be provided with a workbook to help them keep notes and track their fulfilled requirements. Workbook examples can be found at this website:
NOTE: Scouts Glaze Days are included in the Pottery Merit Badge fee, but must be scheduled for at least 3 weeks after the original Scouts day to provide time for our staff to bisque fire the work and prepare it to be glazed.
2 Adults are included and may participate. Extra Adults will be required to pay $30.00 Fee if they would like to participate with their scout. If they wish to follow along in the guided tour, but not participate, in the hands on, they will be required to pay $7.00, or the cost of admission to the museum.
Price: $45.00 Per Scout, Minimum of 7 Scouts.